Sunday, September 13, 2009



I found this Equadoran couple in a very interesting carving shop in Quito, the capital of Equador. I thought it was so beautiful- and it was freshly carved and finished by a wood carver who worked in the rear of the store.
As I was negotiating with the carver I could feel my wife, who had just returned from a ceramics store down the block, breathing down my neck.

"And where are we going to put all of these wood carvings?" she asked. "Do you Realize how many carvings you've bought These Last few days?"

or something to that effect. Frankly, I don't know what she said since I conveniently left my hearing aid at the hotel. But I knew one thing for sure, she wasn't going to talk me out of this wood carving, and that's for damn sure! It's a favorite of mine. So I thought I'd draw the original and share it with you.

I'm just a beginner, but being a beginner has some advantages one of which is that I am in a constant state of becoming.

8 comments:

  1. I think drawing these wood carvings is a wonderful thing to do, to train your eye---and there must be many drawings to be made if you but turn the piece a bit, or give it strong shadows with a lamp--or maybe set it on something---you are talented....Winna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Winna.

    Thank you so much for your suggestions
    and encouraging words.

    All the best,
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice sense of proportion. And Winna is right, add a strong light to one side and you'll get darker shadows/more contrast. That helps a drawing pop off the page! You are doing a fantastic job; I would never suspect you to be "beginner"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful looking wood carving. I've bought one before mainly because I don't buy a lot of things I can't lug around while I am on the road. If you call this a beginner's work, then I'd say we have an entirely new definition of the word "beginner" :)
    Thank you Doug for your wishes, and for your understanding. I really appreciate you sharing with me, and you're right that it's tough to be outside alone and away from your family. But I am holding up well, and I'll be having my own family soon. Of course I'll still try my very back to go back for a visit at least once a year. Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you know that what you are doing is one of the harder things to draw. That you are doing it so well speaks to your ability. Keep on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Raena. Your compliment and suggestions are so appreciated. I will have to work at getting my drawings to "pop off the page."

    Alex. It is so nice to hear from fellow artists. Your encouraging words really hit the spot.

    Ramon. What a thoughtful and encouraging comment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have quite the collection. A beautiful way to remember your travels. Nice sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love wood carvings. And yes
    I have quite
    an aggregation.

    I'd draw them all
    if I could only rid myself
    of this procrastination.

    Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete