Monday, September 7, 2009

African Chief, Zimbabwe




I was thrilled when I found the old carving of an African chief in Zimbabwe, South Africa. The original is carved from teak wood and weighs about 12 pounds. The wood carving is starting to crack which accounts for the black, vertical lines on my drawing.

My wife often moves my carvings and other collectibles from place to place in our home, so when I bumped into the one I chose as the subject for my drawing it was like meeting up with an old friend. It's a favorite of mine, and the drawing looks pretty close to the original, so I'm happy with it. I'm finding that I have the most trouble with noses, eyes, and shading.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you captured "teak carving" very well, especially around the eyes and nose, and across the forehead. For shading - try some stronger contrasts, lighter lights with the darks.

    possumpatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete