Monday, December 7, 2009

Rooster Man



Every time
I hear a rooster crow
Ya know, that repetitive

 "Cocka Doodle Doo"

I wanna jump out of bed
get my hatchet
and chop off its head.

Well, yesterday morning
the cock began
to crow again.

and again and again.
Then... I heard Elvis singin
'Jailhouse Rock.'

Slowly I walked
with hatchet in hand
"One, two, three

four o'clock rock."
He was  behind the Maple tree
and what I saw nearly knocked

my socks off, Rooster Man
that gol durn cock
signin... Jailhouse Rock'

and now, believe it or not
I'm his Biggest
fan.

c. Douglas Fireman


For those who doubt this story,
I took a picture of Rooster Man.
Actually he's a combo of the original
tree bark and the paint I later
added using Picasa Tools.

Wish I coulda captured the song too.
He sounded exactly like Elvis.

3 comments:

  1. I love the colors. Very interesting and entertaining poem and story. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ramona.
    Years ago, I had an addition built on my home.
    One day the contractor arrived with a rooster in a crate and a large jar of marbles for my son. My son was so excited with the rooster that I agreed to take it for a few days. We tied a long piece of rope to the roosters leg; tied the other end to a wooden stake, and hammered it into the ground. That rooster crowed every day at four o'clock in the morning. The neighbors were fit to be tied. Thank God, I talked the contractor into taking the old rooster back to the farm.

    Thanks for dropping by and for your nice comment. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have your pictures and stories back!

    ReplyDelete